Today in History:

13 Series I Volume LIII- Serial 111 - Supplements


action as a regiment ceased. The conduct of both officers and men during this advance, which was protracted under the deadly fire by the deployment and the halt, was most commendable. It is nearly impossible among those who left or among those who suryived to mention in this report any considerable number of the instances of good conduct. Captain Augustus W. Rollins, Adjt. Henry G. Webber, and First Lieutenant William C. Knowlton were among the first to enter the works and among the last to leave them, and behaved throught with coolness and courage. Six officers of the regiment fell before reaching the moat, two of whom were mortally wounded and one of whom has since died of his wounds, and seven officers, including Colonel Putnam, were killed within the fort or in the moat. Four first sergeants were killed and two wounded (one mortally so) in the advance on the works. In killed my loss in the charge was 76 officers and men, and my report of casualties the next mroni9ng in killed, wounded, and missing was 18 officers and 200 men. The regiment went into action with 25 officers, and 480 men. Before the works were finally abandoned, having collected as many as possible of the regiment near the fraise above our batteries, I was again advancing when the order was given to return to camp, which was done in good order.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieutenant-Colonel Seventh New Hampshire Volunteers, Commanding

Brigadier General T. SEYMOUR,

Commanding U. S. Forces, Morris Island, S. C.


Report of Captain John. S. Littell, Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania Infantry, of second assault on Battery Wagner, July 18.

Hilton Head, S. C., November 10, 1863.

GENERAL: In compliance with request I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by the Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers in the assault upon Fort Wagner on the 18th day of July, 1863:

On the evening of the 17th of July the regiment was ordered to the front. We remained there under a heavy fire, with the loss of one officer (a lieutenant) killed, until the evening of the 18th, when, by order of Brigadier-General Strong, we participated in the assault, being the fourth regiment in line. When the order was given to charge some of the regiments in front but little advance. In breaking and falling back they broke through my line, but we continued to advance until reaching the top of the glacis, and many had reached the moat when General Strong directed his brigade to fall back and reform, as some of the regiments were badly broken up and scattered. My regiment fell back in good order and were not again ordered forward, as some other brigade had taken our place. My loss was 24 out of some 140 engaged. The conduct of the entire regiment engaged was exceedingly good, and to designate any officer or man for having displayed any extraordinary courage or for good conduct would be doing a great injustice to many