Today in History:

91 Series I Volume XVI-I Serial 22 - Morgan's First Kentucky Raid, Perryville Campaign Part I


Jackson was killed. As soon as I found the assault was going to be a general one I dispatched an aide to General Sheridan to see to my right that it was not turned. About 3 o'clock, when I found the enemy were outnumbering me, I sent an aide to the nearest commander for assistance (Captain Fisher). He met General Schoepf on the road marching to the battle-field. Captain Fisher was referred to General Gilbert, who was with General Schoepf's command, and was referred to General Gilbert to General Buell. At 3.30 o'clock I dispatched another aide, Captain Hoblitzell, to General Schoepf, to tell him my condition. The same time I dispatched Major Bates, of my staff, to report to General Buell my condition. In the mean time Terrill's brigade, of Jackson's division, which consisted of all raw troops, had given way, but Starkweather's brigade,being so admirably posted, drove the enemy back on the left. I remained in the left center of my line until the enemy were driven in confusion from the left center and center of my line and then galloped to the right, and arrived just most of my casualties occurred that day. I ordered two regiments of Webster's brigade, which had been posted in the rear of the right center of Rousseau's line, to move to the right and repel the assault. I galloped to Russell's house, where my headquarters had been during the morning, and ordered my chief of artillery to bring up a section of artillery and repel this advance of the enemy. The section was opened, but they opened a battery about 600 yards from us and opened such a heavy fire upon that point that the battery was brought away. Loomis' battery had exhausted all its long-range ammunition and had been retired 100 yards in rear of Russell's house. I rode to the battery, and order Captain Loomis, as soon as the enemy came close enough, to open upon them with canister. He double-charged his Parrott guns and did it handsomely. I then rode back to where the Mackville and Perryville and Springfield-Dicksville roads cross.

(Continued December 9, 1862.)

NASHVILLE, December 8, 1862.

Lieutenant FRANK [J.] JONES (a witness for the Government), being duly sworn by the judge-advocate, testified as follows:


Question. What position have you in the service?

First lieutenant. Thirteenth Regiment Ohio Infantry, and acting assistant adjutant-general of Third Division.

Question. State whether or not you were in the battle of Perryville, whether you were taken prisoner there, and what you know of the number of the enemy.

I was in the battle of Perryville; was taken prisoner there just at night-fall, 8 or 9 o'clock, after the battle. As regards the number of the enemy, I know nothing except what I heard from Captain Spence, assistant inspector-general Polk's staff, who stated they were 30,000 or 35,000 strong.

(Object to by General Buell on account of its being hearsay evidence. The room was cleared and the objection was sustained.)

Question. State what you know of the subsequent movements of the enemy.

Of that I know nothing, being taken to Harrodburg by a circuitous route, avoiding their army. I saw nothing except detached bodies near Harrodsburg; besides, I made to inquiries.

Question. How long were you at Harrodsburg after the battle when paroled?

Was paroled day after the battle, in provost-marshal's office in Harrodsburg.

Could you judge from the bodies you saw which way the enemy were moving?

No, sir; I could not.

Cross-examination by General BUELL:

Question. What time did you arrive at Harrodsburg?

Next day after the battle, 12 or 1 o'clock.